You’ll be in good company when you hire me to speak for your next event. See below for my credentials and experience.
Others who have hired me for their speaking engagements include:
- Strathcona County Library, Sherwood Park
- Edmonton Lifelong Learning Association (ELLA)
- Calgary Heritage Initiative, Calgary
- Friends of Rutherford House, Edmonton
- City of Edmonton- This Old Edmonton House Series
- Art Week in the Badlands, Drumheller
- The Alberta Society of Artists, Edmonton
- The University of Alberta, ArtSmash, Edmonton
- Edmonton and District Historical Society, Edmonton
- Highlands Historical Society, Edmonton
- Art Society of Strathcona County, Sherwood Park
- Central Lions Senior Center, Edmonton
- OWN Heritage Homes, Calgary
- SWCA- The Alberta Society of Artists, Edmonton
- Edmonton Public Schools Metro Continuing Education
- And more…
Some comments from previous attendees and students:
The Calgary Heritage Initiative Society (aka CHI) was delighted to have Johanne speak at our AGM in April, 2013 at Calgary’s historic Lougheed House. Johanne’s depth of knowledge of early 20th century interior design and decorating is of great interest to our members, many of whom own century homes and are interested in preserving and maintaining their interiors as well as their exteriors. We have had several requests for her to return for further talks and seminars and look forward to inviting her back to Calgary in future.”
The presenter (Johanne) was absolutely wonderful and brought so much to this course.”
Johanne brings incredible energy and information to the subject matter.”
Johanne was excellent. Great class, great instructor.”
I’m passionate about history and old houses and nothing is more gratifying to me than to connect with other people who feel the way I do. Since 1994, I have helped my clients preserve and decorate their heritage homes. My interest in preserving wonderful old buildings has led me to be part of several organizations such as SPARE (Society for the Protection of Historical Resources in Edmonton), HRRP (Historic Resources Review Panel), and the Highlands Historical Society among others.
I’m the author of “Historical Interiors of Alberta – A Guide to Preserving and Decorating your Heritage Home” and I’ve written about heritage issues for publications such as Legacy Magazine, Discovering Antiques, and Edifice Magazine. I get to meet many old house owners when I lead workshops for the City of Edmonton’s “This Old Edmonton House” series.
For thirteen years I owned an antique store called “From Times Past” and my overwhelming interest in all things historical did not stop with the closure of the shop. Today I speak about antiques to various groups and as a member of the Canadian Personal Property Appraisers Group (CPPGA), I provide fair market appraisals for my clients. (see more about my appraisal services under “appraisals” on this site)
As a past graduate of the Alberta College of Art and Design, my interest in art has come full circle as I speak about art history through my classes for the University of Alberta certificate programs and speaking engagements for art society events. I have been told that “I make history come alive”.
A Summary of Areas of Special Knowledge:
– As an instructor for the University of Alberta Visual Arts and Residential Interiors certificate programs I teach and speak on topics pertaining to the History of Art, History of Furniture, and Business Practice for Designers and Visual Artists.
– Designer specializing in historical home interiors from the late Victorian period to the 1950’s.
- Proponent of historical preservation.
- As the in-house trainer for the human resources department of Four Seasons Hotels and Hilton Hotels I created and taught courses pertaining to the hotel industry.
- My experience as an antique dealer allows me to speak about antiques – their history, values and the business of selling/buying antiques.
To discuss your event, what topics you’d like me to speak about, and to check my availability, please or email me or call me at 780 722 7494.